A few good friends

Today I am going to touch on a topic that is very close to my heart.

Although I write on three blogs, share on social media and write, I am predominately a very private person.


I have a few very close friends. I don't have a massive list of things that are important for me in a friendship, but the few things I do have are exceptionally important to me. Trust is at the top of the list alongside total honestly and finally understanding.

A good few years ago I had a situation arise and I was a little unsure as to how best to deal with it. Instead of sharing this with my friends I told someone that usually offers great advice and was always very supportive. This unfortunately was not one of those occasions. Their response wasn't one I had hoped for and because of this I immediately felt consumed with guilt. No, I haven't committed some heinous act; I was sad about a relationship and didn't know what to do to resolve how I felt. Anyway, this comment hurt me to the extent that I not only stopped sharing with this person, but I stopped sharing with everyone.

A good few years later I still wasn't sharing although life had been adding an assortment of items to my things you could learn a lesson from list. One day I finally realised I couldn't deal with this list on my own, that I felt as if one more thing would break me once and for all.

So I decided to share a little with one of my closest friends. Sure I was wary, but to my delight she was so understanding and supportive I felt able to share more and more. Then a few months later on one Sunday I was struggling, with one particularly difficult issue and taking the bull by the horns I told my now best friend. He listened whilst it all came out. He was supportive, understanding and his response showed me that sharing all was the right thing to do, that in the end all would be well, and this without a single cliché in sight.

The relief I felt was incredible and when I was able to look back some time later I realised that the one original comment wasn't really about me at all. It was about situations that person was dealing with and I just happened to catch them at a time in their life when they weren't feeling very positive about people generally.

From that point on I told myself I was going to start letting my friends back in, I was going to share with them as they did with me. I have kept the promise I made to myself that day and this has helped me change my life for the better.

If I could have one friendship wish for everyone, it would be for them to have someone that they could trust completely, share honestly with, and know they will not be judged but understood to the best of another person's ability.

There are still times when I feel like I am the only person to feel a particular way or to have a particular worry, but then I remind myself about all the times in recent years where I have shared, regardless of these fears with my friends and I firmly believe I am a happier person because of this.

I now know I never have to carry my worries alone again.

If any of my personal experiences resonate with you and you don't feel like there is anyone out there that you can talk to, my door is always open and I can promise you the same as with my friends, you will always get the following: trust, honestly and understanding to the very best of my abilities.

Love,

Cate

Comments