Saving Nature's Magic


In a day and age where children are forever attached to one form or another of technology, I think it is important to show them there are simple pleasures to still be found in the real world.

A few years ago I took my daughter and my Labrador to Bourne Woods. It is a magical place, full of wildlife, rabbits, foxes, deer to name but a few.

Whilst it was a wonderfully sunny day the preceding days had been very wet, so it was rather muddy on some of the paths. As we strolled through the woods admiring the array of trees and hoping to catch sight of a deer we came to a stretch in the path completely covered by a gigantic puddle. There was no way around it, the only choice was to jump over it.

Taking a few steps backwards my daughter took the biggest leap she could manage. Unfortunately it wasn't quite big enough, she slid on the mud and landed flat on her back. Her fall was cushioned by the soft ground, however she was covered from head to foot in mud. She stood up and looked at me most indignantly. I am afraid I wasn't much help, she looked so funny I couldn't keep from laughing which started her off and she laughed until our sides hurt.

It is easy to take the nature for granted, presuming it will always be there for us to enjoy. However, if we do nothing to stop our woods and forests from being sold and the land developed the change for so many people to enjoy the simple pleasures nature has to offer will be gone and gone for good.

Long term, building on all the land will have devastating effects on the wildlife, the environment to name but a few things. I believe we should stop looking at short term solutions and think about long term effects, and when I say long term I don't mean five, ten, twenty years, I mean hundreds of years ahead.

If you care about our planet, bearing in mind it is the only we we have please sign the petition below.

With thanks and love

Cate

www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/infrastructure-bill?#petition