What would you do in this scenario?

Scene

Johnny and Mrs Noir are standing in a Market Square by a Hot Dog Van that hasn't opened as yet.)

Johnny: (warily happy) I can't believe our little village has a Hot Dog Van! The last time I saw one of these was in Skeggy when I was a teenager.

Mrs Noir: (glances around the other stands who are all open.) I hope they open soon, you know how the wind makes my knee ache.

Johnny: There's a stand over there selling long woollen socks, I could go ... (he pauses mid-sentence as he notices Mrs Noir rolling her eyes.) It was just a thought.

Mrs Noir: We could go back to my...our house and I could make you a sausage sandwich with good quality meat in it.

Johnny: (his smile is fading.) Yeah, we could. (He looks at her with hope in his eyes.) but Hot Dogs in a roll drenched in ketchup and mustard are ... (he falters not daring to say delicious in fear of causing offence when none is intended.) a naughty treat that reminds me of the last day I went to the seaside with both my Mum and Dad.

Mrs Noir: Okay, we'll wait a little bit longer. (she begins vigorously rubbing her knee whilst scrunching her face up.)

Johnny: (a glimmer of hope appears in his eyes.) Thank you my darling, I will ... (Mrs Noir interrupts him.)

Mrs Noir: I really don't know why you want to drench your hot dog in ketchup and mustard, You won't be able to taste anything else. (she then mutters under the breath.) Which would probably be a good thing.

Johnny: It's how my dad used to do it. He'd swish his finger around mixing both sauces all over the hot dog and onions so every bite was filled with all flavours.

Mrs Noir: (said in a challenging tone.) Just because he did it doesn't mean you have to. I never put sauce on anything and after five years together you could always follow my example.

Johnny: (lowers his head and replies quietly.) But I like it like that.

Mrs Noir: Well you would! (she then storms off.)

As the hot dog van opens behind Johnny he inhales the delicious smells wafting over him. 

Johnny: (Walking away he whispers to himself.) I wonder if a sausage sandwich is now out of the question. 

I wrote this short play as part of a creative task in mindfulness when it was done I realised it was about something much more. I wonder how you would behave in Johnny's place, all comments are more than welcome.


Comments