Book Lovers Tag

Reading, Love Books, Writing

A few days ago I was thoroughly enjoying reading J.D. Estrada’s Book Lovers Tag - http://jdestradawriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/book-lovers-tag.html - so much so that before I read the last line I commented. Telling JD how much I loved this piece and I received this reply:- A thank you and then let's see what your answers are. My first thought was huh? and then I read the last line in his post and yes there is was, a tag with my name on it! So ladies and gentlemen here we go.


Do you have a specific place for reading?

There are places I adore reading, in my big swivel chair with my feet curled up and a cup of proper tea is the first place that comes to mind. Then first thing in the morning in bed, usually with a bowl of Weetabix resting on my lap. Whilst eating lunch at work, I have a habit of cutting my salad up into bitesize pieces before I begin, so I can read without distraction and it helps stop the beetroot and plump tomatoes from escaping off of my plate. Once a few years ago I spent the whole of a car journey from Hampshire to Cambridgeshire feasting on a book, travelling especially if you are going on holiday and reading seem like a sublime combination to me. To be honest though I love reading, so wherever I am if I have a few minutes to spare I will read.

Bookmarks or random pieces of paper?

Both, one of the advantages of having a family and many friends that read is they get you cute bookmarks, but if I have a lot of books on the go then I will grab whatever is to hand.

Can you just stop anywhere or must it be at the end of a chapter?

It depends on the book, if I am hooked then I will stop at the end of a chapter, otherwise I will stop at the end of sentence.

Do you eat or drink while reading?

I have a thermos mug which keeps my tea warm for about two hours which is perfect for when I read or write. I do tend to get rather engrossed and I hate throwing three quarter full cups away.
I might snack on crisps, a slice of cake or a piece of chocolate, but I have to keep my fingers clean, I don’t like food stains on books, we shall save those for getting on my white t-shirts, which I confess I am an expert at.

Music or TV while reading?

I don’t mind if the TV is on, but silence is better for me, I like to get completely absorbed in the story.

One book at a time or several?

It seems I keep answering the questions in part before they are asked, deary me. I always have several books on the go at a time. Depending on what I fancy, like most things with me, my taste is quite eclectic.

Do you prefer to read at home or elsewhere?

If I am home alone that is great, no interruptions from my teenage daughter, otherwise I am fortunate enough to have my own office so I can always hide out there.

Read out loud or silently?

Silently unless it is poetry and then I prefer reading out loud, it adds another depth to the words especially if it is a piece that particularly resonates with me.

Do you read ahead or skip pages?

I only ever skipped pages once. It was in a fiction book I bought for research as I wanted to know why so many people were reading it. After a few pages I felt as if the writer was feeding me every single word, there was no room for imagination or wondering what came next. So I did a test, skipping forward a good few pages to see if I could guess what was going to happen next and sure enough I could. It was that predictible and unfortunately I didn’t feel as if I missed anything that mattered by doing so. After trying this a few more times and getting the same result I stopped reading the book and haven't ever returned to it. 

Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?

I always treat books with respect but I don’t mind if they look well read but breaking the spine is a step to far for me. 

Do you write in your books?


Never, if I wanted to make notes I would write them on a post it or in a notebook that I always carry with me.

Well that is it for me, I hope other than learning a little more about me I have at the very least kept you entertained for a few minutes.

Love, 

Cate x

Comments

  1. Love the cozy reading visual and I do think that’s one of the best ways to get your read on. Here’s to being fellow t shirt staining expert. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment